Early October, 2012 – We have had a bout five days on non-stop sunshine, clear blues skies, and almost no wind – unheard of this year to have such good weather. So, today I went off across the field and into the woods near the river and found two smallish trees to experiment with. One issue has been the strings coming off the bridge, and so last time I was out I tried making an extended bridge from some elderberry sticks – it is pretty primitive, but it works. The problem is, though, that the strings still slip, and when they do it sounds rather dull.
Today I thought about how to get more than two strings working – you need to keep a couple of regular strings on the violins in order to hold the bridge in place. Today i realised that the answer is to float the violin, on an extended bridge, on the four strings. see picture: